Flight (Ongoing): All your Units can fly (even Cultists). When moved, they can travel 2 Areas. They can fly over Areas containing enemy Units.
- Abduct (Pre-Battle) Eliminate one or more Nightgaunts in the Battle Area. For each such Nightgaunt, your opponent must eliminate one of his own Monsters or Cultists (his choice) in the Area. After this, combat proceeds.
- Invisibility (Pre-Battle) Select one Monster or Cultist (from either Faction) per Flying Polyp present and ”exempt” it. The selected Unit takes no part in the rest of the Battle.
- Seek and Destroy (Pre-Battle) Immediately move any or all Hunting Horrors from any Area to the Battle Area.
- Emissary of the Outer Gods (Post-Battle) Unless an enemy Great Old One is involved in the Battle, any Kill inflicted on Nyarlathotep becomes a Pain.
- The Thousand Forms (Action: Cost 0) If Nyarlathotep is in play, roll 1D6. Your foes must lose that much Power between them; they have 1 minute to decide how much each loses. If they cannot agree, you get the rolled number as Power added to your total. Flip this spellbook face-down to indicate it cannot be used again this turn. During Gather Power, flip it face up again.
- Madness (Ongoing) You get to choose to which adjacent Area enemy Units flee to on a Pain result. This happens even in Battles in which you do not participate.
Elder Sign Acquisition – More often than not, Crawling Chaos relies on gaining Elder Signs through Nyarlathotep’s Harbinger ability. You will most likely have to attack enemy GOOs several times for a chance at winning the game. This requires good timing and resource management. Attempting this is far easier when playing with Neutral GOOs who often times are far weaker in combat. Keep an eye out for neutral GOOs like Bokrug and Y’Golonac (but watch out for his ability!)
When you sense the final Doom Phase has arrived, attack enemy GOOs as much as possible with Nyarlathotep. If you end the game with him alive, it should be from luck, not timidness.
If possible, attack areas with two Great Old Ones. This could occur against Yellow Sign and Windwalker. These factions, however, will most likely kill Nyarlathotep in battle, so make them your final push. If you can pain both GOOs, that will net you 4 Elder Signs.
To assist in gaining Elder Signs with the Harbinger ability, use Flying Polyps and their spellbook to exempt enemies from the battle, ensuring your dice results get through to the enemy Great Old One(s).
Spellbook Requirements – Crawling Chaos has two very unfortunate Spellbook Requirements. Pay 4 power as an action and pay 6 power as an action. You will need all the power you can get in later rounds to take Nyarlathotep and other units on the Great Old One hunt, so try and time the 6 power spellbook around mid game. Another option is to wait for a high roll with The Thousand Forms, but this is not a guarantee.
POWER is the KEY!! for Crawling Chaos even more than for other factions. This is because CC isnt the easiest faction to start with. They need a lot of power to achieve their spellbooks and their strength lies more in the mid / endgame. Most of the spellbooks are ment for fighting and herassing so you have to get that power from the board. And the best way to do that is with Nyarlathotep on the board.
1. Move 1 cultist to a free location. Avoid placing next to another faction homebase. Dont forget your faction has the great ability of flight. 7 power.
2. Build a Gate in that area. 4 Power.
3. Defend those gates. Build 1 hunting horror in the area where you just build your gate. 1 Power.
4. Build 1 nightgaunt at your home base. 0 power.
Provided you start this turn with atleast 10 power:
Awaken Nyarlathotep and select the Thousand Forms spellbook. 0 Power or
alternatively repeat turn 1 to achieve enough power to awaken Nyarlathotep next turn.
The Thousand Forms spellbook will provide you with another way to gain power.
Try to summon in the next turn(s) a second hunting horror and get the Seek and Destroy spellbook so you have an answer to enemies herassing you. Dont forget to defend that powergates!!